This medicine contains the active ingredient Amlodipine which belongs to a group of medicines called calcium antagonists. They lower the amount of calcium in the walls of the arteries and in the heart. Amlodipine is used for the treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension) by relaxing blood vessels, and for the treatment of a certain type of chest pain called angina, including Prinzmetal’s (or variant) angina by improving blood supply to the heart muscle.
Is Amlodipine suitable for me?
Amlodipine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- If you are allergic to amlodipine, or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- If you have very low blood pressure (hypotension)
- If you have narrowing of the aortic heart valve or cardiogenic shock
- If you suffer from heart failure
- If you have had recent heart attack
- If you are suffering from unstable angina
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- Have liver problems
- Are elderly or under 18
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Have a history of heart attacks
Amlodipine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Amlodipine?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take Amlodipine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
Amlodipine is usually taken once a day. The treatment starts with one 5 mg tablet a day, and it may be increased to 10 mg tablet a day, depending on the need. It is advisable not to take Amlodipine with grapefruit juice.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Also, this medicine works best if there is a constant amount in the blood. To help keep this amount constant, do not miss any doses and take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose. Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Amlodipine side effects?
Like all medicines Amlodipine can cause side effects, including:
- Headache, dizziness, sleepiness
- Palpitations (awareness of your heart beat)
- flushing of the face
- Ankle swelling, tiredness
- Mood changes, anxiety, depression, sleeplessness
- Trembling, taste abnormalities, fainting, weakness
- Numbness or tingling sensation in your limbs; loss of pain sensation
- Visual disturbances, double vision, ringing in the ears
- Low blood pressure
- Sneezing/running nose caused by inflammation of the lining of the nose
- Hair loss, increased sweating, itchy skin, red patches on skin, skin discoloration
- Disorder in passing urine
- Inability to obtain an erection; discomfort or enlargement of the breasts in men
- Weakness, pain, feeling unwell
- Joint or muscle pain, muscle cramps, back pain
- Weight change
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.