This medicine contains 5mg of the active ingredient Amiloride and 50 mg of the active ingredient Hydrochlorothiazide, which belong to a group of medicines called diuretics, also known as water tablets. These medicines cause the kidneys to produce more urine, and in that way they free your body from retaining the extra fluid. Hemopres is prescribed for the treatment of edema (water retention caused by heart failure), water retention due to liver disease and high blood pressure (hypertension).
Is Hemopres suitable for me?
Hemopres is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to Amiloride, Hydrochlorothiazide or to other ingredients of this medicine
- have high potassium and calcium levels
- if you have diabetes
- if you have liver or kidney disease
- if you have Addison`s disease
- if you are taking lithium
- if you are under 18 years
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have diabetes
- have liver disease or kidney disease,
- have glaucoma,
- have asthma or allergies,
- have gout,
- have porphyria
- are allergic to sulfa drugs or penicillin.
- are pregnant or breast-feeding.
Hemopres interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Hemopres?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take Hemopres exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
The usual dose is one tablet taken once or twice a day. The maximum dose is four tablets taken per day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose. Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Hemopres side effects?
Like all medicines Hemopres can cause side effects, including:
- fast heartbeat
- abdominal or stomach pain
- constipation, indigestion
- visual disturbance
- nausea, vomiting
- muscle cramps or pain
- cough or hoarseness
- sore throat
- decreased interest in sexual intercourse
- hair loss or thinning of the hair
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.