This medicine contains active ingredient allopurinol, which is prescribed to help prevent gout attacks by reducing the levels of uric acid in your blood. Gout attacks are inflammations in one or more of your joints. These attacks are caused by increased amount of a chemical called uric acid which collects in joints and tendons. Allopurinol can also help prevent uric acid levels becoming high in some other conditions too, such as kidney disease, metabolic disorders, certain skin diseases, cancer and treatment with diuretic, certain types of kidney stones.
Is Allopurinol suitable for me?
Allopurinol is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- are allergic to allopurinol tablets or other ingredients of this medicine
- are currently suffering from an acute gout attack
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- have severe liver or kidney disease or kidney problems
- have an increased levels of urate in the body caused by some condition (eg Lesch-Nyhan syndrome)
- are pregnant or breast-feeding
Allopurinol interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Allopurinol?
This medicine is available in form of a tablet.
You should take allopurinol exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
- The usual starting dose for adults is one tablet of 100 mg to 300 mg a day, although this may be increased to 200 to 600 mg a day in divided doses.
- Maximum dose is over 900 mg, but it is rarely needed.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Allopurinol side effects?
Like all medicines allopurinol can cause side effects, including:
- allergic reaction
- nausea, vomiting
- changes in liver function tests
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.