This medicine contains the active ingredient acetylsalicylic acid which belongs to a group of medicines called salicylates. It works by reducing substances in the body that cause pain, fever, and inflammation. This medicine prevents adhesion and accumulation of blood platelets (thrombocytes) and thereby prevents the formation of blood clots (thrombus; inhibition of platelet aggregation). It is prescribed for the treatment of acute heart attack - as part of the standard treatment; for the prevention of heart attack after the initial attack; for the reduction of the risk of recurrent transient ischaemic attacks or stroke in men who have had transient ischaemia of the brain due to fibrin platelet emboli; after surgery or other procedures on the arteries (after aorto-coronary venous bypass [ACVB], percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty [PTCA]); for the treatment of unstable angina (chest pain due to damaged circulatory coronary blood vessels) - as a part of the standard treatment; for the prevention of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism after prolonged immobilization (after major surgery); to reduce the risk of first heart attack in people with cardiovascular risk factors (diabetes, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, obesity, smoking, age).
Is Acetylsalicylic acid suitable for me?
Acetylsalicylic acid is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to acetylsalicylic acid or to any of the other ingredients in this medicine
- if you had an allergic reaction to other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug
- if you have bronchial asthma
- if you suffer from diseases of the upper digestive system, such as gastritis and gastric and duodenal ulcers
- if you have increased tendency to bleed
- if you have a serious kidney or liver disease
- if you suffer from gout
- if you are in the last trimester of pregnancy
- if you are receiving methotrexate at a dose of 15 mg / week or more
- if you have severe heart failure which is not adequately treated
In particular, you must tell the doctor if you:
- are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breast-feeding
- are taking other anticoagulant drugs
- have liver or kidney problems
- are suffering from diseases of the digestive system, such as gastritis and gastric and duodenal ulcers
- suffer from bronchial asthma, hay fever, swelling of the nasal mucosa (nasal polyps) or chronic respiratory disease
- are planning a surgery
Acetylsalicylic acid interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take Acetylsalicylic acid?
This medicine is available in form of a gastro-resistant tablet.
You should take acetylsalicylic acid exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist. You will be prescribed your dose according to your condition and needs.
- The usual daily dose is 1 to 3 gastro-resistant tablets (corresponding to 100 to 300 mg of acetylsalicylic acid daily) or 3 gastro-resistant tablets every other day.
Do not use more of it, do not use it more often, or do not use it for a longer time than your doctor instructed. Do not take two doses together if you miss a dose.
Read the information leaflet provided with your medication for additional information. Talk to your doctor if you have any additional questions.
What are Acetylsalicylic acid side effects?
Like all medicines acetylsalicylic acid can cause side effects, including:
- abdominal pain
- nausea and vomiting
- bleeding from the digestive system
- bleeding from the digestive tract
- damage to the digestive tract
- inflammation of the digestive tract
- severe eczema on the skin and mucous membrane
- hypersensitivity reactions
- low blood pressure
- shortness of breath
- inflammation of the nasal mucosa
- nasal congestion
- allergic reactions
- swelling of the face, tongue and throat (angioedema)
- headache, dizziness, confusion
- noise in the ears
- bleeding from the nose, gums, skin
- bleeding from the urinary tract and sexual organs
- serious bleeding, such as bleeding in the brain which in individual cases may be life-threatening
Consult a doctor if the side effects are severe. See the package leaflet for a complete list of side effects.